Google and participating news organisations will establish an on-going dialogue exploring product developments to increase revenue, traffic and audience engagement.
Our intention is that this dialogue will lead to Google product developments which will benefit the news ecosystem globally.
Google has established an innovation fund to support and stimulate innovation in digital news journalism over the next three years.
- Over this period, Google will make available up to €150m for projects which demonstrate new thinking in the practice of digital journalism.
- Applications will be assessed based on: level of innovation, viability and potential impact.
- Anyone working on innovation in online news in Europe (EU or EFTA countries) is eligible to apply, including established publishers, online-only players and news startups.
- Applications are welcome through the DNI Innovation Fund page, which includes further information on the Fund’s processes and governance.
Training & research
Google is already investing in new training and development resources for journalists and newsrooms across Europe, as well as funding research into the changing media landscape.
- Dedicated staff to work with European newsrooms on digital skills.
- Training partnerships with journalism organisations including the European Journalism Centre, WAN-IFRA, GEN, the Center for Investigative Reporting, and Hacks/Hackers, a meet-up organisation which brings together journalists and technologists.
- Enhanced online resources and tools for journalists.
- A re-built Google Trends platform, based on feedback from journalists from newsrooms around the world, with increases in the depth, breadth and speed of available data.
- An expanded Reuters Institute Digital News Report into news consumption and user behaviour across Europe, covering 20 countries.
- Funding for academic research into computational journalism including disciplines such as computer-assisted reporting, crowd-sourcing and data-driven insights.
- Extending the Google Journalism Fellowship programme to Europe.
- Details of further initiatives will be posted to this website over time.